The Graphic Design Specialist is responsible for the creation of high quality visual design, digital media, photography, videography and marketing solutions that meet the communications needs across all LPL locations, departments and platforms. Reporting to the Manager, Communications, this position builds collaborative internal and external relationships to contribute to the achievement of LPL’s Purpose and strategic goals.
1. Graphic Design
- Plans, creates, and produces high quality, original visual design solutions (print and digital media) to meet the communications and marketing needs across all LPL locations, departments and communications platform. LPL communications needs supported include: information services, marketing, corporate communications, internal communications, signage, display and merchandising, community engagement and fund development.
- Reviews ideas and information provided by staff and is able to effectively communicate key points through clear, concise visual concepts and design. Presents work effectively at all stages of the process to ensure design communicates the desired message, meets required needs and functions successfully.
- Plans and prioritizes graphic design workflow, manages multiple project timelines and provides effective and timely communication about projects directly to internal and external clients and to the Manager, Communications.
- Working collaboratively with editorial staff, designs high quality layouts and visual content and composes simple copy that meet the goals and standards of LPL publications.
- Performs proofing (colour, retouching, etc.), colour separations, press checks and other quality assurance roles to ensure accuracy of digital files, including publications, for print.
- Sends and receives digital files for internal and external printing, communicates with production and corrects errors to ensure highest quality production.
- Plans, creates and produces signs using a variety of formats and equipment and works with suppliers to design and produce signs, following established guidelines. Ensures all signs are accurate and meet accessibility and other standards.
- Implements and maintains LPL visual identity standards and guidelines, under the direction of the Manager, Communications.
- Reviews and approves print and digital media created by Library partners to ensure LPL standards are met.
- Under the direction of the Manager, Communications, purchases, and maintains files for digital assets such as fonts and photos.
- Develops, maintains and improves system-wide processes and procedures related to print and digital media, under the direction of the Manager, Communications.
- Uses all Print & Distribution Centre equipment and technology and of offset and web press processes to execute work and to work with vendors.
- Ensures all accessibility needs related to communications and visual design are identified, addressed effectively and meet accessibility requirements.
- Ensures proper licensing is in place and adheres to all licensing and copyright standards and to the conditions of all purchased licenses.
- Remains current with graphic design, digital media and marketing and communications trends to enable LPL to be an early adapter of appropriate ideas.
- Upgrades skills to meet the evolving needs of the Communications Department through the use of training software, professional literature, continuing education and conference attendance.
2. Photography and Videography
- Plans photography and videography projects, creates storyboards and scenarios, conducts photo and video shoots and produces photos and videos to meet communications needs across all LPL locations, departments and communications channels.
- Edits photos and video as needed to deliver high quality product.
- Remains current with knowledge of video, audio and photo technology, production and industry best practices.
- Ensures equipment is in good working order and is set up properly. Problem solves technical issues (lighting, sound, equipment, etc.) as they arise.
- Ensures related policies are followed and standards are met.
3. Digital Media
- Provides design and content support for the website, LIBBI and other digital platforms under the direction of the Interactive Media Design and Communications Specialist, including: creating multimedia content such as videos, motion graphics and animation; supporting design projects; creating mockups and wireframes; maintaining content and content modules; creating design elements for social media platforms.
- As part of the Communications team, plans, creates and shares content for established LPL social media channels, including photos, videos, graphics, animation and copy according to established standards and guidelines, consulting with appropriate staff on content and referring issues as appropriate.
- Creates email marketing templates and design elements following established guidelines and standards.
4. Communications Department Support
- Works with all members of the Communications department to generate and evaluate ideas and designs and to produce collaborative work, including publications, integrated campaigns, social media content and content for digital applications.
- Maintains up-to-date files for all projects ensuring accuracy of all files.
- Resolves routine hardware and software problems with departmental technology platforms and equipment. Performs basic equipment maintenance. Communicates with LPL departments and external service providers in the repair of equipment as needed.
- Ensures the safety, security and proper use of all departmental equipment, including cameras.
- Recommends purchase or repair of software and equipment and purchase of supplies and production services, having met with vendors, conducted research, reviewed budget criteria and identified available options.
- In consultation with Manager, Communications, places orders from suppliers, completes and submits purchase orders upon approval of the Manager, Communications.
- Provides back-up support to other members of the department as needed.
- Assists with the planning and delivery of LPL events as assigned.
5. Teamwork and Collaboration
- Works collaborative and constructively with staff in all departments across all phases of design development and execution.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with Information Technology Services to ensure functionality of design software, departmental files and platforms.
- Consults and works with external suppliers and vendors, following established policies and guidelines and providing quality assurance of all creative deliverables.
- Works with external partners on specific design projects as assigned.
- Represents and promotes LPL and the Communications department at internal and external activities in an enthusiastic and professional manner.
- Regularly seeks out feedback to ensure user needs (internal and external) are being met.
- Provides consultative support across the organization on relevant projects and initiatives. Makes presentations and offers training and other support.
- Successful completion of a 3 year diploma in Graphic Design or equivalent certification.
- 2 years of work experience designing for print and digital media.
- A portfolio that demonstrates creative problem solving, effective communication and excellent design execution.
- Understanding of CSS, HTML, web standards and usability
- Extreme attention to detail. Ability to work with high standard for accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and be open to feedback.
- Comfortable and skilled at making public presentations and representing your organization in the community.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Advanced knowledge of design technology platforms, including Adobe Creative.
- Advanced photo and video production skills
- Experience creating successful content for social media.
- Practical understanding of accessible design and communications standards.
- Design and fabrication knowledge for a wide range of signage types.
- Strong conceptual skills and ability to effectively communicate concepts verbally, in writing and visually.
- Strong written communications skills, including strong grammar, spelling, and proofreading abilities
- Self-motivated, with a high level of initiative and proven ability to effectively manage multiple complex projects, solve problems, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Open to new ideas and influences, and quick to react to changing trends.
- An understanding of the very diverse audiences that LPL serves.
Candidates are requested to submit a detailed resume outlining experience and qualifications by May 29, 2018 to: email@example.com
Please visit our website at: http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/
No phone calls please.
The London Public Library will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes upon request consistent with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA regulations.
Applicants for employment, who have been provided with a conditional offer of employment will be asked to provide, at his or her own expense, a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check and/or Police Information Check, as applicable.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
How to Apply: