Hours Per Week
Number of Positions
- Long-Term (6+ months)
Deadline to Apply:
Start Date Apr - Jun 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall objective of this placement is to support the development of the financial systems at NAG, a Myanmar NGO whose aim is to foster sustainable development initiatives in Costal, Delta and Dry Zone. You will work to strengthen NAG’s financial systems and operations, provide training to the existing staff and support the implementation of financial tools. With more than 300 staff, growing programs and the potential for humanitarian emergencies at any point, NAG needs to perfect and maintain a rigorous budgeting, accounting, and reporting system. The finance team will be trained to ensure sustainability of rigorous and transparent finance methods.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Assist NAG's Finance Policy and internal control system and synchronization
- Strengthen the capacity of NAG Finance staff
- Provide technical support on installation and up and running of Quick Book software
- Provide support on consolidated Financial reports for the whole organization; to assist in the preparation of internal and external auditing processes.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to finance; Master’s is preferred.
Essential Professional Background:
- Accountant with minimum 5 years of experience managing funds for an organization with multiple funding sources.
- Finance trainer/teacher/coach for people who have very basic prior finance knowledge and computer skills. Experience in International Auditing Standard.
- Familiar using Financial Software (preferably Quick Book)
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Finance / Accounting / Audit