Hours Per Week
Number of Positions
- Long-Term (6+ months)
Deadline to Apply:
The London Housing Registry has been a part of London for over 32 years, and part of our success is the strong commitment and loyalty of our volunteers. We are not only serving the chronic and episodic part of the homeless population but anyone who are experiencing a housing crisis.
Our volunteers are the stars of our programs, without them, we will never thrive. We will never reach three decades of community services, helping the most vulnerable segment of our community.
We are looking for the next star, a person who is passionate and dedicated. A person who is searching for meaningful volunteer opportunities. And finally, a person who has a genuine interest in helping others particularly those who are in housing crisis.
If you would like to gain experience in front-line social service and would like to jumpstart career exploration, this is the place to be!
The Reception Office Admin is the first person the public see when they visit our office, he or she must be comfortable dealing with the public and be confident enough to answer basic question about London Housing Registry’s program and services.
Our Reception Office Admin is not limited to greeting clients only, they are encouraged to do creative projects and be the star of our Resource Centre.
Our Reception Office Admin will work for four months as Junior Volunteer and eventually progress to Senior Volunteer. Afterward, mentoring opportunities will be given to further enhance leadership skills.
Details of Job Description:
- Provide administration support to the staff and volunteers
- Provide technology assistance to the London Housing Registry Resource Centre
- Maintain all necessary Resource Centre materials including ordering of brochures
- Receive and direct all phone inquiries and clients to appropriate staff and volunteer
- Retrieve phone messages from voice mail system and complete appropriate template
- Update Community Board as needed (newspaper, magazine, internet articles)
- Provide filing, mailing, purchasing, photocopying and reception duties
- Collate statistics as required for various initiatives currently operating
- Distribute appropriate literature, forms, and brochures
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience Required:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 10 including Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint
- Office Administration or secretarial courses and/or related work experience
- Completed secondary education and Grade 12 English
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of The Residential Tenancies Act 2006
- Knowledge of homeless issues and housing barriers
- Knowledge and experience in faxing, copying and scanning documents
- Knowledge of housing related legislations (provincial and municipal by-laws)
- Adaptability to deal with a diverse client population and sensitive information
- Knowledge of income support for low-income individuals and families (OW, ODSP, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interview and communicate with a diverse population having widely differing needs and requirements
- Courses in office Administration or secretarial and/or related work experience.
- Completed secondary education and Grade 12 English.
Please email your cover letter (indicating the position you are applying), completed volunteer application form, and resume
***Please write ‘Volunteering @ LHR‘ in the subject line of your e-mail***
• 6 weekly hours / 6-month commitment
• Public Transportation is Available
• No Parking (please arrange your parking if you wish to drive)
• Fragrance-free and open door office environment
• Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 8 AM – 3 PM
• Volunteer Hours: One day weekly 9 AM – 3 PM, Flexibility with schedule is an asset
How to Apply - See below
The London Housing Registry encouraged diversity in the workplace by encouraging open dialogue, acceptance, and tolerance of everyone’s belief, culture, gender issues and background. We encourage everyone to apply and those who are looking for meaningful volunteering!
Additional Opportunity Information
- Communications / Writing
- Computer Network
- Data Entry
- Reception / Administration